Friday, March 6, 2015

Bella's Backpack

Here's a make from months ago that I never showed except on Instagram. Miss Bella needed a backpack for their trip to CA. I was very glad to help out with that. I am happy to say that the result matched the vision in my head. I found the grey polka dot at Joann's. It's a nice lighter weight canvas which has proven to be durable but was not hard to sew with the many layers I had going on.
The pattern is Made by Rae's Toddler Backpack. I've made it, I think, 6 times now and I still love it. It is easy to put your own twist on it because it is such a nicely done pattern. One add on was the front pocket. I was really winging it on this part and though I'd do some things different if I did it again, I love the way it looks.
I lined it and decided that a zippered pocket was a good idea. A welt zipper application kept it from being too cluttered inside when it's loaded up.
The piping is Kona Cotton in Salmon, if I am remembering correctly. Can I say yum?
To give it maximum structure, but still have the ability to sew it with out pulling my hair out,  I used Pellon Decor Bond on all of the main pieces including the lining. I actually use it in most of the bags I make. (Smaller bags only need a single layer. ) 
I wanted the back to be more comfortable for her when she wore it so just before I put it all together, I tacked in pieces of Annie's Soft and Stable. I ended up putting it in the back, front and bottom. It is extremely easy to sew, and gives more structure without much extra weight. Have you used this product? I've done a few things with it and I love it. 
Last but not least, I put a leather bottom on it. I am not sure if it helps much in durability or keeping it clean but I think it looks really cute.
I love seeing pictures of Bella wearing it around. I do wonder what all she has packed into it though....


3 comments:

  1. Awesome bag! My current one is starting to look worn and I was starting to think about a new one. I love the piping on yours. And the leather bottom. Really snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome... And yes, the piping is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors sooo much! I love the add on leather.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!