Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm, Like, All Grown Up Now

Next in the line of never ending (I'm serious, I hope) things for Isabella.... McCall's 5835. This is a size 1 and will be more of a top than dress. I think. 
Jess choose this polka dot design by Riley Blake. I decided on the dark green to coordinate with it. 
It's a sweet, fairly easy pattern. Fairly easy because I changed the way they told you to put the bodice together. The instructions call for too much hand sewing  for my liking right now. Having just sewn the Ice Cream dress by Oliver + S, I finished the bodice with the method shown there. 
I picture it with a little pair of jeans. Jess may have other ideas.... 
I also had some help from my new toy. See that underarm seam up there?? 
Yes, I am all grown up, I finally got a serger. 
I have resisted for so very long because the silly things intimidated me. The price and the threading and such. 
Then I saw a post over on Crafterhours. Adrianna informed me that this model was on sale for a attainably low price. I caved and I'm so glad I did. It can cut down to one step what I used to take three steps to do. Time is something that I don't have an excess of lately. 
It was a bit busy when it came so my attention was not all together when I started trying the machine out. After realizing where I threaded it wrong, I was good to go. So far, it's amazing. 
Dear Serger, 
heart
 you.

Oh!
Dear You Know Who,
heart
you too!




10 comments:

  1. wahoo!!! that was super fast! Glad I could contribute even an eensy weensy bit to your sewing-for-grandkid addiction! (addiction sounds so negative - inclination? proclivity? Whatever it is, don't stop!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the top but that's probably because it's almost the exact same dress/topthe Oliver + S swingset top which is my all time favorite pattern from them and I wish they would extend the pattern to bigger sizes (up to 12 or where ever the older ones stop). Anyway, I love the color combo! it's beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it is SO nice! And that serged underarm seam was the first thing i noticed in the picture. I was thinking, did she always have a serger? i feel like she would have mentioned before now... then i read on and it all became clear! You are unbelievably talented and i bet you are having the best time sewing all those tiny things! and you have the best of both worlds with one tiny boy and one tiny girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well...and here I thought you had one already the way your clothing always looks so professionally and exquisitely made! I'm even more impressed with your sewing skills knowing you're just now getting a serger!

    Take care and I love, love, love the lil' dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the things you are working on. It will fun seeing them all m odels by Isabella later. As for your new serger I wish I could learn to sew like that.

    Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I have the same serger. It just makes life easier! Those little dresses are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can so relate !! I do have a serger at home ... bought it used for a very good price, but I have never used it, because I'm afraid of making mistakes !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that little dress! Wish mine were still little so that I could still dress them as I pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new toy! I will be living vicariously through you now. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!