Friday, February 10, 2012

Mendocino Mermaids

Did any of you guess what I was up to? I am totally going to blame Jan she showed an awesome pouch that she received in a swap and I was super jealous (she even named the post- Jealous?- how did she know)! Then Mum sent me a pin that linked to this embroidery. So when we came upon this frame and Mum asked me what I was going to do with it. I was all 'I am thinking of doing an embroidery...' mermaids never crossed my mind and when she mentioned it (DUH!) we both knew that had to be it. 
Please excuse the photos I tried really hard but it was super difficult to get even these photos- I'll try to get better ones at some point but I couldn't wait any longer to show you guys!
The opening on the frame is 16" so these are very large-compared to the originals. 
I did a mix of the two inspiration embroideries and then added my own touches. The solid color of the tails is actually 3 different threads to give them dimension. 
The girl on the lefts face is a little truer to the fabric, the girl on the right isn't quite right but I liked her expression so I went with it. 
I tried to remain true to the fabric. The fabric is linen I backed it with a fusible cotton - the kind you would use to stabilize a collar. It was a super fun project. 
It was originally done for Bella's room but who knows maybe I will hang it somewhere I will see it more- Uber likes it which I wasn't expecting so we will have to see where they end up!

7 comments:

  1. That is perfect for that frame. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can hang in my house. You're there a lot too .... Just sayin.... Cause I love it. It's beyond spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I throw in a vote for my house, love how their tails look 3-D, really, really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Very cool! and it's kind of like looking through a porthole! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this is just GORGEOUS - but I guess you knew I'd say that. It reminds me of the view through a port hole on some amazing old ship (I'm not sure old ships had these kind of port holes, but hey if we believe in mermaids then anything is possible right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looove this!! PERFECTION! I love that frame! The embroidery is perfect. Did I already say perfection?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazingly beautiful. I am surprised your brain doesn't explode with all the creativity in there.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!