Since the deadline for Spring Top Week 2011 was extended through 8 pm tonight, I decided to sew a second top after work last night. I used the left over fabric from my first top and cut a simple tank shape on the bias. For the back I cut it just slightly higher than the front. I got it a bit too wide so had to fuss with it for longer than I cared. There wasn't quite enough fabric for the length I wanted but seeing quite a few tops in the pool with bands on the bottom that I liked, I decided to do the same thing. I cut the band twice the width I needed, also on the bias. Folded it in half and sewed it to the bottom.... No hemming...Made tape for the neck and arm holes from the bodice fabric.
Silly flower made from left over band fabric cut on the bias, in one inch strips, folded in half, gathered and randomly sewn into a wonky shape. I just pinned it on the shirt for now.
I wore it all day and it was very comfortable, almost as good as having a knit shirt on.